We used the tour operator Haggis Tours and had the world's hottest tour guide (with a Scottish accent to top it off!) He lead us out of Edinburgh, and up through the Highlands for a fabulous day of riding around on a bus. He promised us traditional Scottish music, and delivered us Jack Johnson, Britney Spears and even Hanson. Delightful and hilarious. He made jokes about the drunks on the street and referred to William Wallace as "Mel Gibson" the whole time he told the story of Wallace. My personal favourite of his lines "They killed his wife. It was about this time that Mel Gibson lost the plot, much like he has done in recent years..." amazing. We all had a huge crush on the tour guide and tried to convince him to come out drinking with us after, but unfortunately not successful (he was heading up another tour!). Damn him!
Anyways, this story is not about us shamelessly flirting with a bus driver, I'm pretty sure. It's about the search for Nessie.
So we headed up through the Highlands, looking at the Highland Coos (cows) and the beautiful scenery. Learning about Mel Gibson and all the various other traitors, theives and madmen that make up the Scottish ancestoral reign. We talked about how much the English were a pain in the neck for the Scots, and all that jazz.
Here are some pics from the Highlands (most taken from the bus window, so I do apologize for the reflection in some):
| Girls at Glen Coe |
When we had made it to Loch Ness, we were certainly ready to get off the bus and take the hunt! We headed off to the boat, and searched for Nessie. A man got up to make a presentation about the Sonar equipment that helps them find the Monsters and entertained us by talking for the sake of talking. It was outrageously hilarious.
Quotes from him that were good:
"I could tell you there are no monsters in this lake, but it wouldn't matter, you'd just keep coming back."
"The way Platetechonics works, we are gradually headed towards Jamaica, and personally, I can't wait. I have my shorts out already."
Amazing.
Here are some pics from the boat tour:
| An accurate weather forecast for all of Britain and most of Ireland. |
| Dreary lake.. |
| NESSIE! CAUGHT! |
So Serene.
We hopped back on the bus, where the tour guide decided he was done gabbing on for the day and threw on Braveheart (the most historically inaccurate film of all time) for us to watch. I tried to sleep through it, because, to be quite frank, I hate Braveheart. A lot. I hate it a lot.
All in all a pretty great day in Scotland. I can't believe we found Nessie...
Now let's get some drinks!
No comments:
Post a Comment