Upon arriving in Ireland, we caught a bus to get our car from the car hire place.
We paid up and hit the road, this time in a car not quite as swanky as Genevieve (we aptly named her "Patricia" or "Pat" for being so bland) and drove on the left side of the road.
Funny conversation with a student a while back:
"Miss do you drive?"
"No, because you guys don't drive on the right side of the road, so I'm afraid to try it."
"Miss, WE drive on the RIGHT side of the road - it's you guys that have it backwards"
"No, (insert condescending pet name here), I mean RIGHT as in Right/Left. Not as in Right/Wrong."
Clowns aha.
Anyways - So we drove pat out to ol' Tipperary, the original birthplace of Jocelyn's ancestors, the O'Courtney's. Apparently people coming to North America from Ireland usually dropping the "O" in their last names - guess the O'Grady's didn't get that memo - ah well.
So we start our drive out to Tipperary which takes us through the back country side of Ireland, full to the brim with spring-baby animals everywhere. I aggravated Jocelyn the whole way shouting "Baby Lambs" ("Dani, that's like saying Baby, Baby") and "Baby Calves" everytime we past one. She got hers back though in this conversation...
Upon spotting some baby horses...
"Baby .... Ponies!!"
"Dani, baby horses are not called ponies."
"Baby... Fawns?"
"Nope, wrong again."
"Baby..... ummmmmmm......."
"Colts."
Ahhhhh.
Driving along through the country with two bonafide Canadian country girls got me to thinking. Here's my thought: I am NOT a country girl. At all. Haha! Where was the Starbucks stop? And why have we not seen another car in AGES? Boring! Haha!
The GPS continually put us on smaller and smaller dirt roads, making me think it was leading us to our horror-movie style death, but we made it safely.
Tipperary was a lovely little town, where clearly no one but locals had been since the dawn of time, and we were massively out of place, but we had some delicious Irish pub fayre and wandered the town before heading back to Dublin for the night.
Once in Dublin, we hit the Poet's Corner pub where we chatted to some really old guys about the meaning of life.
Michelle put her foot in her mouth with this comment:
"Oh, I just find the Irish so much less uptight than the English"
"Honey, he's English."
Ahahaha woops!
The most important thing to tell you from Dublin is that Guinness doesn't travel well. If you like the taste of Guinness at home, you would DIE for the Guiness in Ireland. I have never like Guinness, nor would I ever order it anywhere, but in Ireland it tastes like the best beer in the world. It is sooo delicious I could just drink the whole keg straight from the tap. So, if you are in Ireland and think, I've had Guinness before, it's gross and thick like tar, give it another try. I promise you won't regret it!
Corrected by Kate Anstey -
ReplyDeleteBaby horses are called foals. The boys are called colts. Take that, Jocelyn.