Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dani's Students Don't Understand Geography

In Year 7 English class they have implemented a weekly LRC (Library) period, to get them excited about the LRC and comfortable using its resources. A noble plan to up the overall literacy in the school, and I fully support this cause. One week the librarian set up a “Book Bingo” with a prize for the winning team. The students were to run around through the library collecting books from the different categories listed on their bingo card (Shakespeare Play, Dictionary, Reference book, etc). Once they have collected one book from every category on their bingo sheet, they call bingo and win a prize (books of course!), but only after I check to make sure they have successfully completed the task (no cheaters!). The kids were SO into it!
Then comes the first “BINGO”. One of the categories on the sheet is “A Book from a European Country” (easy enough, right?) so I ask them for their European book and this group hands me a book on QUEBEC! QUEBEC! Then they argued with me that Quebec is in fact a European country. Um, no kids. ‘tis not. So they continue. The next group immediately calls “BINGO” – their book about a European country is about Texas. TEXAS! WTF? Nope, not Texas kids. Next group with Bingo, same category, Egypt. Alright, well at least Egypt is a bit closer. Quite frankly, I’m not sure I could locate Egypt on a map, so while they did not win the Bingo game, I was not quite as disappointed in their answer. So the desperate first group, so badly wanting the prize approaches me and ask “Miss, can you please just tell us the name of a European country so we can win?” I looked at them with my most sincere face and simply stated “England. England is a European country.” They quickly located a book about England (easy enough in a library in England) and won the game!
True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment