Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dani does Parent-Teacher Conferences

Parent-teacher days are also very different in England.
The kids get the whole day off, except for the 20 minute slot they have their interviews in, which they join their parents for - the whole purpose of the day being that as a team (parent, teacher and student) we are to create smart goals for the students to up their grades and raise their levels.
The problem with this is that instead of meeting with their subject teachers directly. Instead the students meet up with their form teacher, who has their progress reports and they do it that way. I spent my day chatting it up with my form kids and their parents (all super supportive and lovely people), making goals for students to improve in their studies. All-in-all a very positive experience, but I think it would be better, almost, for me to have chatted to the students I actually teach about their progress in my class and how they can improve. It is difficult for me to help them set targets for subjects I know nothing about - like Science & Maths (math here has an 's', as does spellings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment