Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dani's Student Voms Up Blood

Some days they just get under your skin. Some days the students really just hit a nerve, and there is nothing you can do. Except scream. This was one of those days. One of my lovely girls (I teach a grand total of about 12 girls) comes into class and decides to drop the gloves on this day. She is in a fighting mood and I cannot be bothered dealing with her, so I move her away from her friend that she sits with. I tell her to move across the classroom and grab the empty seat as far away as possible from where she is sitting. She immediately gets her back up and starts screaming at me, on the verge of tears about how I am the worst teacher ever, and JUST SO MEEEAAANN, blah, blah, blah. Hitting that nerve I mentioned earlier, I decided to have a bit of a go at her, and started shouting back (bad teaching practice) to which she did not reply, but rather clutched her stomach, gasping for air and coughed up some blood. Into her hands. Blood. Her blood. From her insides. Panic ensues, but the situation is quickly dealt with, and the child is rushed to hospital.
Turns out the kid has an ulcer problem that is aggravated by stress. For example, the stress of a teacher screaming at her. Woops. My bad.
Didn’t feel super great about myself this day. Not my favourite day in England so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment