Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Dani is a really bad tour guide

The Lovely Chelsea McDonnell came to see me in Dartford the weekend before I was meant to head home. I promised her a lovely London adventure, which I hope I provided. She lives in Bristol (another large city in England, which is close to Bath - and I hope to visit her in January). She had yet to take in London and the sights, so I brought her around. Unfortunately I am directionally challenged and we spent most of the day just plain lost in London. After following signs to Southbank and posing for pics in front of the lovely Tower Bridge (little known fact - the ugly transit bridge is London Bridge, the fabulous castle-esque bridge we know is called Tower Bridge), and then walking along southbank, looking for Shakespeare's Globe (all things I have done several times before and should know how to do). En route to The Globe we took a wrong turn onto a pub patio and reached a dead end there (becoming a good-chuckle story for the Proper Londoners having a pint & smoke outside). We fanangled our way through Borough Market and found the Globe for a photo-op for Chelsea. We then crossed the Thames on Millenium Bridge (a bridge that makes a fantastic futuristic sound as you cross it) and took a wrong turn at St. Paul's Cathedral and found ourselves walking through nothing, to nothing. We tried to find Westminister on the map, but we were too far away for it to be noted (not promising), so we turned back and just walked and walked. At St. Paul's we were maybe a 10-15 minute walk away from the rest of the sights I wanted to show her (Big Ben, the London Eye, Westminister Abbey, Buckingham Palace) but we had headed about 15 minutes in the opposite direction, so now we had quite a hike on our hands. Chels was a good sport about it. In future, I know EXACTLY where to go now, and have resolved to spend more time taking in my surroundings instead of just following the leader, as I had obviously done before.
Here is a pic of me and Tower Bridge, the real London Bridge and a fabulous angle of The Globe from the day:


No comments:

Post a Comment