My form students are spoiled.
While all of the other kids have to stay outside in the cold at lunch (a crisp +5 so don't worry too much about them), I allow my form students to sit in my room with me at lunch. The one condition I have is don't annoy me while I eat and mark, and you can stay. They usually are pretty good at just chatting amongst themselves and eating lunch like civilized human beings. Sometimes they throw a ball around, but gently and not in a violent way. My Year 9 form boys are particularly notable for running through the halls and causing a lunchtime ruckus, so keeping them in my room basically just keeps them from annoying all the other teachers.
However, one day these little buggers decided to take advantage of my kindness. They used a note I had given them several days prior to get past all the other teachers and into the building and then went whipping through the corridors throwing food and pushing each other and just generally being little pricks. When my attention was alerated to this, I stormed out in the hall to collect them only to have them sprint away from me and hide underneath the stairs. When I finally chased them outside (feeling a bit like a dog-catcher going after stray puppies), they tore off into the field. Thinking they had escaped consequences, the jokers obviously forgot that the next thing they had to do when the pips went is come to my class for form.
So in they march, tail between their legs, but shit-eating grins on their faces. Despicable. So I sit them down to have a conversation with them, which went a little something like this.
"Look, today you guys really crossed a line. I am very nice to you and I feel my kindness has been taken advantage of, so for the time being you are no longer allowed to come in here at lunch. I'll be informing the other teachers not to let you in."
"But Miss, it was just one time. And so-and-so dared us to do it."
"Well kids, one time is all it takes to break my trust, and I'm too disappointed right now to give you any privileges."
"Miss, seriously - it won't happen again."
"Too bad. No more lunch times in here - I hope you are happy with yourselves and your decisions."
Did I just break up with my form students?? Yes, I think I did. It's been peaceful without the little buggers, but much less interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment