Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dani's students are way too sheltered

Some days it really hurts my heart how sheltered my students really are... on our trip to "London" aka the Olympic Stadium in NOWHERESVILLE, I had a lovely student tell me this was his first time in London. Is he kidding? London is RIGHT THERE!! It costs like 10pounds to travel for a full day in London from Dartford. Alas, he was not kidding, bless his soul.
It is moments like this that you realize how much you take for granted. I live 3 hours from Toronto at home, and I have been there every couple months probably since I was born, if not since I was a child. It's the big city nearby, it's what you do. It's where you see concerts, and ball games, attend festivals, go on rollercoasters and experience culture outside of white-Catholic Kingston. Yet, there I sat with a boy who lives 20 minutes from arguably the greatest city on Earth and he's never even seen Big Ben up close! Everyone reading this, take a moment to count your blessings, and among them, count the fact that your parents:
#1. Could always afford your home, heating and even splurged on school supplies.
#2. Did everything in their power to ensure that you were exposed to things that allowed you to have life experiences. To want something more from your life.
The children in this area are so deprived of life outside of their town, and of themselves. By bringing in Canadian teachers, they were exposed to a different point-of-view, as well as the idea that you can leave your family and your country and do something new. Score one for us! We try everyday to expose them to things that will help them, effectively, leave Dartford. It seems arrogant, I suppose, but these kids need to understand that there is more to life than marrying the girl you knocked up when you were 16, and living off of public funds. It is outrageous.

Anyways, this lovely boy told me he's never been to London before, so when we arrived at Greenwich Park, I showed him the beautiful view from the top of the hill, where, if you look into the distance, up the Thames, you can see Tower Bridge and the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral. I explained where everything was, and how Princess Diana had been married at the Cathedral. He was completely enthralled. He looked up at me with sheepish eyes and said "Miss, can you see the London Eye from here? I've always wanted to see the London Eye." Heartbreaking as it was, the answer is unfortunately not - due to a bend in the River Thames you cannot see much of Central London.

My heart was so broken for this child, I just wanted to take him to the train station, get us a day pass and go see the London Eye close up. But, that's not how life works is it?
Le sigh.

I end this rather downer post with some pretty flowers, to lighten the mood a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment