Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dani does the London Eye

A day late, and a dollar short, but what the hell - here is my final day in ol' London town...

As many of you may know, I have a fairly debilitating fear of heights - I can walk up that big hill, but stand close to the edge, no Sirry! I can go up that tower but stand on the glass floor, or look out over the rails - Hellz no! I can go in an Airplane, but looking out the window when we take off makes me want to just die... you get the picture.

So to go on the massive beast that is the London Eye was a fear realized. Since the whole Pod you are inside is a lookout, I was massively afraid. Luckily, my good friend Faye was not afraid in the slightest, so she talked me down from it while waiting in the OVERLY long QUEUE, where I felt a bit like a Londoner who hates tourists (I even got asked for directions!) and then I did it!

Fear faced: The London Eye was exactly as it was described to me by many an Englander - worth doing once, if you're bored, but not that exciting in general.

Here are some pics:

The EYE!

 St. Paul's from above!

Big Ben & Parliament from Above
 Northbank
 Charing Cross Station (aka that place we sprinted to countless times, at 12:35 hoping to get the 12:45, last train home)
 Southbank
 A couple with their very own pod, a server and a bottle of champagne. No one proposed. SO disappointing.
 And just to prove I was up there...


Interesting to note: The London Eye was part of the Millennium Project (along with the Millennium Bridge to St. Paul's from the Tate) and the Millennium Dome (now the O2 concert venue). It was meant to open on January 1st, 2000 but was forced to open late due to faulty engineering - as was the bridge (which swayed in the middle - how terrifying). It opened in March instead. Loser London. The Eye was only meant to be up for 5 years, and then be dismantled, but alas, it is such a popular tourist attraction (we waited in a 1hr queue to get on this bad boy) that they left it up indefinitely. Today it is the number 1 attraction in London - above the Tower of London & Buckingham Palace - crazy huh? 

Currently sitting in Toronto, waiting to catch up with MORE old friends, after having caught up with some last night. Excited, but exhausted. This city is hot and bothered!

No comments:

Post a Comment